To lay a claim to; to allege a title to; to claim.
- To give a false appearance of; feign: "You had to pretend conformity while privately pursuing high and dangerous nonconformism” ( Anthony Burgess).
- To claim or allege insincerely or falsely; profess: doesn't pretend to be an expert.
- To represent fictitiously in play; make believe: pretended they were on a cruise.
- To take upon oneself; venture: I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong.
- To feign an action or character, as in play.
- To put forward a claim.
- To make pretensions: pretends to gourmet tastes.
- Informal Imitation; make-believe: pretend money; pretend pearls.