The act of proving; also, that which proves anything; proof.
- A process or period in which a person's fitness, as for work or membership in a social group, is tested.
- Law The act of suspending the sentence of a person convicted of a criminal offense and granting that person provisional freedom on the promise of good behavior.
- A discharge for a person from commitment as an insane person on condition of continued sanity and of being recommitted upon the reappearance of insanity.
- A trial period in which a student is given time to try to redeem failing grades or bad conduct.
- The status of a person on probation.