The act of professing or claiming; open declaration; public avowal or acknowledgment; as, professions of friendship; a profession of faith.
- An occupation or career: "One of the highest compliments a child can pay a parent is to choose his or her profession” ( Joan Nathan).
- An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.
- The body of qualified persons in an occupation or field: members of the teaching profession.
- An act or instance of professing; a declaration.
- An avowal of faith or belief.
- A faith or belief: believers of various professions.