To contribute to the growth, enlargement, or prosperity of (any process or thing that is in course); to forward; to further; to encourage; to advance; to excite; as, to promote learning; to promote disorder; to promote a business venture.
- To raise to a more important or responsible job or rank.
- To advance (a student) to the next higher grade.
- To contribute to the progress or growth of; further. See Synonyms at advance.
- To urge the adoption of; advocate: promote a constitutional amendment.
- To attempt to sell or popularize by advertising or publicity: commercials promoting a new product.
- To help establish or organize (a new enterprise), as by securing financial backing: promote a Broadway show.