The original copy of any writing, as of a deed, treaty, dispatch, or other instrument.
- The forms of ceremony and etiquette observed by diplomats and heads of state.
- A code of correct conduct: safety protocols; academic protocol.
- The first copy of a treaty or other such document before its ratification.
- A preliminary draft or record of a transaction.
- The plan for a course of medical treatment or for a scientific experiment.
- Computer Science A standard procedure for regulating data transmission between computers.
- To form or issue protocols.