To lop or cut off the superfluous parts, branches, or shoots of; to clear of useless material; to shape or smooth by trimming; to trim: as, to prune trees; to prune an essay.
- The partially dried fruit of any of several varieties of the common plum, Prunus domestica.
- Any kind of plum that can be dried without spoiling.
- Slang An ill-tempered, stupid, or incompetent person.
- Slang To make a facial expression exhibiting ill temper or disgust: "Their faces prune at the slightest provocation” ( James Wolcott).
- To cut off or remove dead or living parts or branches of (a plant, for example) to improve shape or growth.
- To remove or cut out as superfluous.
- To reduce: prune a budget.
- To remove what is superfluous or undesirable.