A space of forty days; -- used of Lent.
- A period of time during which a vehicle, person, or material suspected of carrying a contagious disease is detained at a port of entry under enforced isolation to prevent disease from entering a country.
- A place for such detention.
- Enforced isolation or restriction of free movement imposed to prevent the spread of contagious disease.
- A condition of enforced isolation.
- A period of 40 days.
- To isolate in or as if in quarantine.
- To isolate politically or economically.