To cite, as a passage from some author; to name, repeat, or adduce, as a passage from an author or speaker, by way of authority or illustration; as, to quote a passage from Homer.
- To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source.
- To cite or refer to for illustration or proof.
- To repeat a brief passage or excerpt from: The saxophonist quoted a Duke Ellington melody in his solo.
- To state (a price) for securities, goods, or services.
- To give a quotation, as from a book.
- Informal A quotation.
- A quotation mark.
- Used by a speaker to indicate the beginning of a quotation.
- A dictum; a saying.