An iron bar, with the end bent, used in stirring or skimming molten iron in the process of puddling.
- A tumultuous crowd; a mob.
- The lowest or coarsest class of people. Often used with the.
- A group of persons regarded with contempt: "After subsisting on the invisible margins of the art scene ... he was 'discovered' in the mid-80's, along with a crowd of like-minded rabble from the East Village” ( Richard B. Woodward).
- An iron bar used to stir and skim molten iron in puddling.
- Any of various similar tools or mechanically operated devices used in roasting or refining furnaces.
- To stir or skim (molten iron) with an iron bar.