A thin strip of wood, having the ends brought together, forming a somewhat elliptical hoop, across which a network of catgut or cord is stretched. It is furnished with a handle, and is used for catching or striking a ball in tennis and similar games.
- A device consisting of an oval frame with a tight interlaced network of strings and a handle, used to strike a ball or shuttlecock in various games.
- A wooden paddle, as one used in table tennis.
- A loud distressing noise. See Synonyms at noise.
- A dishonest business or practice, especially one that obtains money through fraud or extortion.
- An easy, profitable means of livelihood.
- Slang A business or occupation.
- To make or move with a loud distressing noise.
- To lead an active social life.