To rave in violent, high-sounding, or extravagant language, without dignity of thought; to be noisy, boisterous, and bombastic in talk or declamation; as, a ranting preacher.
- To speak or write in an angry or violent manner; rave.
- To utter or express with violence or extravagance: a dictator who ranted his vitriol onto a captive audience.
- Violent or extravagant speech or writing.
- A speech or piece of writing that incites anger or violence: "The vast majority [of teenagers logged onto the Internet] did not encounter recipes for pipe bombs or deranged rants about white supremacy” ( Daniel Okrent).
- Chiefly British Wild or uproarious merriment.