The act of referring, or the state of being referred; as, reference to a chart for guidance.
- An act of referring: filed away the article for future reference.
- Significance in a specified context: Her speeches have special reference to environmental policy.
- Meaning or denotation.
- The state of being related or referred: with reference to; in reference to.
- A mention of an occurrence or situation: made frequent references to her promotion.
- A note in a publication referring the reader to another passage or source.
- The passage or source so referred to.
- A work frequently used as a source.
- A mark or footnote used to direct a reader elsewhere for additional information.
- Law Submission of a case to a referee.
- Law Legal actions conducted before or by a referee.
- A person who is in a position to recommend another or to vouch for his or her fitness, as for a job.
- A statement about a person's qualifications, character, and dependability.
- To supply references to: "Our memories are addressed and referenced . . . by significant fragments of their own content” ( Frederick Turner).
- To mention in a reference; refer to: He referenced her book in his speech. See Usage Note at allude.