The office of ruler; rule; authority; government.
- A person or group selected to govern in place of a monarch or other ruler who is absent, disabled, or still in minority.
- The period during which a regent governs.
- The office, area of jurisdiction, or government of regents or a regent.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the style, especially in furniture, prevalent in England during the regency (1811-1820) of George, Prince of Wales (later George IV).
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of the style prevalent in France during the regency (1715-1723) of Philippe, Duc d'Orléans (1674-1723).
- Of or relating to a regency: regency policies and appointments that were later rescinded.