To separate into parts with force or sudden violence; to tear asunder; to split; to burst; as, powder rends a rock in blasting; lightning rends an oak.
- To tear or split apart or into pieces violently. See Synonyms at tear1.
- To tear (one's garments or hair) in anguish or rage.
- To tear away forcibly; wrest.
- To pull, split, or divide as if by tearing: "Chip was rent between the impulse to laugh wildly and a bitterness that threatened hot tears” ( Louis Auchincloss).
- To pierce or disturb with sound: a scream rent the silence.
- To cause pain or distress to: tales that rend the heart.
- To become torn or split; come apart.