Liable to respond; likely to be called upon to answer; accountable; answerable; amenable; as, a guardian is responsible to the court for his conduct in the office.
- Liable to be required to give account, as of one's actions or of the discharge of a duty or trust.
- Involving personal accountability or ability to act without guidance or superior authority: a responsible position within the firm.
- Being a source or cause.
- Able to make moral or rational decisions on one's own and therefore answerable for one's behavior.
- Able to be trusted or depended upon; reliable.
- Based on or characterized by good judgment or sound thinking: responsible journalism.
- Having the means to pay debts or fulfill obligations.
- Required to render account; answerable: The cabinet is responsible to the parliament.