To keep delaying; to continue to hinder; to prevent from progress; to render more slow in progress; to impede; to hinder; as, to retard the march of an army; to retard the motion of a ship; -- opposed to accelerate.
- To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
- To be delayed.
- A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
- Music A slackening of tempo.
- Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
- Offensive Slang A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.