To inflict harm in return for, as an injury, insult, etc.; to exact satisfaction for, under a sense of injury; to avenge; -- followed either by the wrong received, or by the person or thing wronged, as the object, or by the reciprocal pronoun as direct object, and a preposition before the wrong done or the wrongdoer.
- To inflict punishment in return for (injury or insult).
- To seek or take vengeance for (oneself or another person); avenge.
- The act of taking vengeance for injuries or wrongs; retaliation.
- Something done in vengeance; a retaliatory measure.
- A desire for revenge; spite or vindictiveness.
- An opportunity to retaliate, as by a return sports match after a defeat.