The art of composition; especially, elegant composition in prose.
- The art or study of using language effectively and persuasively.
- A treatise or book discussing this art.
- Skill in using language effectively and persuasively.
- A style of speaking or writing, especially the language of a particular subject: fiery political rhetoric.
- Language that is elaborate, pretentious, insincere, or intellectually vacuous: His offers of compromise were mere rhetoric.
- Verbal communication; discourse.