Hazard; danger; peril; exposure to loss, injury, or destruction.
- The possibility of suffering harm or loss; danger.
- A factor, thing, element, or course involving uncertain danger; a hazard: "the usual risks of the desert: rattlesnakes, the heat, and lack of water” ( Frank Clancy).
- The danger or probability of loss to an insurer.
- The amount that an insurance company stands to lose.
- The variability of returns from an investment.
- The chance of nonpayment of a debt.
- One considered with respect to the possibility of loss: a poor risk.
- To expose to a chance of loss or damage; hazard. See Synonyms at endanger.
- To incur the risk of: His action risked a sharp reprisal.
- at risk In an endangered state, especially from lack of proper care: unsupervised children who are at risk of dropping out of school.