Of or pertaining to rites or ritual; as, ritual service or sacrifices; the ritual law.
- The prescribed order of a religious ceremony.
- The body of ceremonies or rites used in a place of worship.
- The prescribed form of conducting a formal secular ceremony: the ritual of an inauguration.
- The body of ceremonies used by a fraternal organization.
- A book of rites or ceremonial forms.
- A ceremonial act or a series of such acts.
- The performance of such acts.
- A detailed method of procedure faithfully or regularly followed: My household chores have become a morning ritual.
- A state or condition characterized by the presence of established procedure or routine: "Prison was a ritual—reenacted daily, year in, year out. Prisoners came and went; generations came and went; and yet the ritual endured” ( William H. Hallahan).
- Associated with or performed according to a rite or ritual: a priest's ritual garments; a ritual sacrifice.
- Being part of an established routine: a ritual glass of milk before bed.