That part of any work in the early manuscripts and typography which was colored red, to distinguish it from other portions.
- A class or category: "This mission is sometimes discussed under the rubric of 'horizontal escalation' . . . from conventional to nuclear war” ( Jack Beatty).
- A title; a name.
- A part of a manuscript or book, such as a title, heading, or initial letter, that appears in decorative red lettering or is otherwise distinguished from the rest of the text.
- A title or heading of a statute or chapter in a code of law.
- Ecclesiastical A direction in a missal, hymnal, or other liturgical book.
- An authoritative rule or direction.
- A short commentary or explanation covering a broad subject.
- Red ocher.
- Red or reddish.
- Written in red.