To make into a ruff; to draw or contract into puckers, plaits, or folds; to wrinkle.
- A strip of frilled or closely pleated fabric used for trimming or decoration.
- A ruff on a bird.
- A ruckus or fray.
- Annoyance; vexation.
- An irregularity or a slight disturbance of a surface.
- To disturb the smoothness or regularity of; ripple.
- To pleat or gather (fabric) into a ruffle.
- To erect (the feathers). Used of birds.
- To discompose; fluster: a book that is bound to ruffle some people.
- To flip through (the pages of a book).
- To shuffle (cards).
- To become irregular or rough.
- To flutter.
- To become flustered.
- A low continuous beating of a drum that is not as loud as a roll. Also called ruff4.
- To beat a ruffle on (a drum).
- To behave arrogantly or roughly; swagger.