Full of asperities on the surface; broken into sharp or irregular points, or otherwise uneven; not smooth; rough; as, a rugged mountain; a rugged road.
- Having a rough irregular surface. See Synonyms at rough.
- Having strong features marked with furrows or wrinkles: the rugged face of the old sailor.
- Having a sturdy build or strong constitution: a rugged trapper who spent months in the wilderness.
- Tempestuous; stormy: the rugged weather of the North Atlantic.
- Demanding great effort, ability, or endurance: the rugged conditions of barracks life.
- Lacking culture or polish; coarse and rude: rugged manners and ribald wit.