Any one of numerous species of Urodela, belonging to Salamandra, Amblystoma, Plethodon, and various allied genera, especially those that are more or less terrestrial in their habits.
- Any of various small lizardlike amphibians of the order Caudata, having porous scaleless skin and four, often weak or rudimentary legs.
- A mythical creature, generally resembling a lizard, believed capable of living in or withstanding fire.
- In the occult philosophy of Paracelsus, a being having fire as its element.
- An object, such as a poker, used in fire or capable of withstanding heat.
- Metallurgy A mass of solidified material, largely metallic, left in a blast-furnace hearth.
- A portable stove used to heat or dry buildings under construction.