To leap or rush out; to burst forth; to issue suddenly; as a body of troops from a fortified place to attack besiegers; to make a sally.
- To rush out or leap forth suddenly.
- To issue suddenly from a defensive or besieged position to attack an enemy.
- To set out on a trip or excursion: sallied forth to see the world.
- A sudden rush forward; a leap.
- An assault from a defensive position; a sortie.
- A sudden emergence into action or expression; an outburst.
- A sudden quick witticism; a quip. See Synonyms at joke.
- A venturing forth; a jaunt.