To address, as with expressions of kind wishes and courtesy; to greet; to hail.
- To greet or address with an expression of welcome, goodwill, or respect.
- To recognize (a superior) with a gesture prescribed by military regulations, as by raising the hand to the cap.
- To honor formally and ceremoniously.
- To express warm approval of; commend: salute an agency for its charity work.
- To become noticeable to: A stench saluted our nostrils.
- To make a gesture of greeting or respect.
- An act of greeting; a salutation.
- An act or gesture of welcome, honor, or courteous recognition: a musical salute to the composer's 90th birthday.
- The position of the hand or rifle or the bodily posture of a person saluting a military superior.
- A formal military display of honor or greeting, such as the firing of cannon.