To mount by steps; to go through with step by step.
- To examine closely.
- To look over quickly and systematically: scanning the horizon for signs of land.
- To look over or leaf through hastily: scanned the newspaper while eating breakfast.
- To analyze (verse) into metrical patterns.
- Electronics To move a finely focused beam of light or electrons in a systematic pattern over (a surface) in order to reproduce or sense and subsequently transmit an image.
- Electronics To move a radar beam in a systematic pattern over (a sector of sky) in search of a target.
- Computer Science To search (stored data) automatically for specific data.
- Medicine To examine (a body or body part) with a CAT scanner or similar scanning apparatus.
- To digitally encode (text, for example) with an optical scanner.
- To analyze verse into metrical patterns.
- To conform to a metrical pattern.
- Electronics To undergo electronic scanning.
- The act or an instance of scanning.
- Scope or field of vision.
- Examination of a body or body part by a CAT scanner or similar scanning apparatus.
- A picture or image produced by this means.
- A single sweep of the beam of electrons across a television screen.