To burn superficially; to parch, or shrivel, the surface of, by heat; to subject to so much heat as changes color and texture without consuming; as, to scorch linen.
- To burn superficially so as to discolor or damage the texture of. See Synonyms at burn1.
- To wither or parch with intense heat.
- To destroy (land and buildings) by or as if by fire so as to leave nothing salvageable to an enemy army.
- To subject to severe censure; excoriate.
- To become scorched or singed.
- To go or move at a very fast, often excessively fast rate.
- A slight or surface burn.
- A discoloration caused by heat.
- Brown spotting on plant leaves caused by fungi, heat, or lack of water.