A roll of paper or parchment; a writing formed into a roll; a schedule; a list.
- A roll, as of parchment or papyrus, used especially for writing a document.
- An ancient book or volume written on such a roll.
- A list or schedule of names.
- An ornament or ornamental design that resembles a partially rolled scroll of paper, as the volute in Ionic and Corinthian capitals.
- Music The curved head on an instrument of the violin family.
- Heraldry A ribbon inscribed with a motto.
- To inscribe on a scroll.
- To roll up into a scroll.
- To ornament with a scroll.
- Computer Science To cause (displayed text or graphics) to move up, down, or across the screen so that a line of text or graphics appears at one edge of the screen for each line that moves off the opposite edge: scroll a document; scroll a page of text.
- Computer Science To cause displayed text or graphics to move up, down, or across the screen: scrolled down to the end of the document.
- Computer Science To appear onscreen and roll by: "The information scrolls so fast it's unreadable” ( Creative Computing).