A broad, shallow basket.
- A small opening or hatch with a movable lid in the deck or hull of a ship or in the roof, wall, or floor of a building.
- The lid or hatch of such an opening.
- Nautical To cut or open a hole or holes in (a ship's hull).
- Nautical To sink (a ship) by this means.
- Informal To scrap; discard: "a program [the] President . . . sought to scuttle” ( Christian Science Monitor).
- A metal pail for carrying coal.
- A shallow open basket for carrying vegetables, flowers, or grain.
- To run or move with short hurried movements; scurry.
- A hurried run.