To break at once into many pieces; to dash, burst, or part violently into fragments; to rend into splinters; as, an explosion shatters a rock or a bomb; too much steam shatters a boiler; an oak is shattered by lightning.
- To cause to break or burst suddenly into pieces, as with a violent blow.
- To damage seriously; disable: His health was shattered by the disease.
- To cause the destruction or ruin of; destroy: The outcome of the conflict shattered our dreams of peace and prosperity.
- To break into pieces; smash or burst. See Synonyms at break.
- The act of shattering.
- The condition of being shattered.
- A splintered or fragmented condition. Often used in the plural: a rare piece of porcelain now in shatters.