A case, box, or receptacle, especially one in which are deposited sacred relics, as the bones of a saint.
- A place of religious devotion or commemoration, such as:
- a place where devotion is paid to a deity or deities, as in Shinto.
- the tomb of a saint or other venerated person.
- a location where an important event in the life of a holy person is thought to have occurred.
- A container or receptacle for sacred relics; a reliquary.
- A site hallowed by association with a revered person or object or with an important event: Independence Hall, shrine of American liberty.
- To enshrine.