To shun; to move from.
- The act or process of turning aside or moving to an alternate course.
- A railroad switch.
- Electricity A low-resistance connection between two points in an electric circuit that forms an alternative path for a portion of the current. Also called bypass.
- Medicine A passage between two natural body channels, such as blood vessels, especially one created surgically to divert or permit flow from one pathway or region to another; a bypass.
- To turn or move aside or onto another course: shunting traffic around an accident.
- To evade by putting aside or ignoring: urgent problems that society can no longer shunt aside.
- To switch (a train or car) from one track to another.
- Electricity To provide or divert (current) by means of a shunt.
- Medicine To divert or permit flow of (a body fluid) from one pathway or region to another by surgical means.
- To move or turn aside.
- Electricity To become diverted by means of a shunt. Used of a circuit.