Easily frightened; timid; as, a shy bird.
- Easily startled; timid.
- Drawing back from contact or familiarity with others; retiring or reserved.
- Marked by reserve or diffidence: a shy glance.
- Distrustful; wary: shy of strangers.
- Not having paid an amount due, as one's ante in poker.
- Short; lacking: Eleven is one shy of a dozen.
- To move suddenly, as if startled; start.
- To draw back, as from fear or caution; recoil.
- A sudden movement, as from fright; a start.
- To throw (something) with a swift motion; fling.
- To throw something with a swift motion.
- A quick throw; a fling.
- Informal A gibe; a sneer.
- Informal An attempt; a try.