The fine, soft thread produced by various species of caterpillars in forming the cocoons within which the worm is inclosed during the pupa state, especially that produced by the larvæ of Bombyx mori.
- A fine lustrous fiber composed mainly of fibroin and produced by certain insect larvae to form cocoons, especially the strong, elastic, fibrous secretion of silkworms used to make thread and fabric.
- Thread or fabric made from this fiber.
- A garment made from this fabric.
- The brightly colored identifying garments of a jockey or harness driver.
- A silky filamentous material, such as the webbing spun by certain spiders or the styles forming a tuft on an ear of corn.
- Composed of or similar to the fiber or the fabric silk.
- To develop silk. Used of corn.