A broad, flat, wooden bar; a slat or sloat.
- A narrow opening; a groove or slit: a slot for coins in a vending machine; a mail slot.
- A gap between a main and auxiliary airfoil to provide space for airflow and facilitate the smooth passage of air over the wing.
- An assigned place in a sequence or schedule: a new time slot for a TV program.
- A position of employment in an organization or hierarchy.
- Computer Science An expansion slot.
- Informal A slot machine designed for gambling: lost $100 playing the slots.
- Football A space or gap between an end and a tackle in an offensive line.
- Sports An unmarked area in front of the goal between the face-off circles on an ice hockey rink.
- To cut or make a slot or slots in.
- To put into or assign to a slot.
- The track or trail of an animal, especially a deer.