To force the air with violence through the nose, so as to make a noise, as do high- spirited horsed in prancing and play.
- A rough, noisy sound made by breathing forcefully through the nostrils, as a horse or pig does.
- A similar sound: the snort of a steam engine.
- Slang A drink of liquor, especially when swallowed in one gulp.
- Slang Cocaine or heroin, especially a small amount sniffed at one time.
- Slang The liquor or drug so taken.
- To breathe noisily and forcefully through the nostrils.
- To make a sound resembling noisy exhalation: "The wind snorted across the Kansas plains” ( Gail Sheehy).
- To make an abrupt noise expressive of scorn, ridicule, or contempt.
- Slang To ingest a drug, such as cocaine or heroin, by sniffing.
- To express by snorting: He snorted his disapproval.
- Slang To ingest by sniffing: snorted cocaine.