The part of a candle wick charred by the flame, whether burning or not.
- To inhale (something) audibly through the nose; sniff.
- To sense or examine by smelling; sniff at.
- To sniff; inhale.
- The act of snuffing or the sound produced by it; a snuffle.
- The charred portion of a candlewick.
- To extinguish: snuffed out the candles.
- To put a sudden end to: lives that were snuffed out by car accidents.
- Slang To kill; murder.
- To cut off the charred portion of (a candlewick).
- A preparation of finely pulverized tobacco that can be drawn up into the nostrils by inhaling. Also called smokeless tobacco.
- The quantity of this tobacco that is inhaled at a single time; a pinch.
- A powdery substance, such as a medicine, taken by inhaling.
- To use or inhale snuff.
- up to snuff Informal Normal in health.
- up to snuff Informal Up to standard; adequate.