Temperate in the use of spirituous liquors; habitually temperate; as, a sober man.
- Habitually abstemious in the use of alcoholic liquors or drugs; temperate.
- Not intoxicated or affected by the use of drugs.
- Plain or subdued: sober attire.
- Devoid of frivolity, excess, exaggeration, or speculative imagination; straightforward: gave a sober assessment of the situation.
- Marked by seriousness, gravity, or solemnity of conduct or character. See Synonyms at serious.
- Marked by circumspection and self-restraint.
- To make or become sober.