A liquid food of many kinds, usually made by boiling meat and vegetables, or either of them, in water, -- commonly seasoned or flavored; strong broth.
- A liquid food prepared from meat, fish, or vegetable stock combined with various other ingredients and often containing solid pieces.
- A liquid rich in organic compounds and providing favorable conditions for the emergence and growth of life forms: primordial soup.
- Slang Something having the appearance or a consistency suggestive of soup, especially:
- Slang Dense fog.
- Slang Nitroglycerine.
- A chaotic or unfortunate situation.
- soup up Slang To modify (something) so as to increase its capacity to perform or satisfy, especially to add horsepower or greater speed potential to (an engine or a vehicle).
- in the soup Slang Having difficulties; in trouble.