That one of the four cardinal points directly opposite to the north; the region or direction to the right or direction to the right of a person who faces the east.
- The direction along a meridian 90° clockwise from east; the direction to the right of sunrise.
- The cardinal point on the mariner's compass 180° clockwise from due north and directly opposite north.
- An area or region lying in the south.
- The southern part of the earth.
- The southern part of a region or country.
- The southern part of the United States, especially the states that fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.
- To, toward, of, facing, or in the south.
- Originating in or coming from the south: a hot south wind.
- In, from, or toward the south.
- Slang Into a worse or inferior position, as of decreased value: a stock that went south shortly after he bought it.