Supreme or highest in power; superior to all others; chief; as, our sovereign prince.
- One that exercises supreme, permanent authority, especially in a nation or other governmental unit, as:
- A king, queen, or other noble person who serves as chief of state; a ruler or monarch.
- A national governing council or committee.
- A nation that governs territory outside its borders.
- A gold coin formerly used in Great Britain.
- Self-governing; independent: a sovereign state.
- Having supreme rank or power: a sovereign prince.
- Paramount; supreme: Her sovereign virtue is compassion.
- Of superlative strength or efficacy: a sovereign remedy.
- Unmitigated: sovereign contempt.