Uttering speech; used for conveying speech; as, man is a speaking animal; a speaking tube.
- Capable of speech.
- Involving speaking or talking: has a speaking part in the play.
- Expressive or telling; eloquent.
- True to life; lifelike: a speaking likeness.
- on speaking terms Friendly enough to exchange superficial remarks: We're on speaking terms with the new neighbors.
- on speaking terms Ready and willing to communicate; not alienated or estranged: on speaking terms again after their quarrel.