Of or pertaining to a species; constituting a species or sort.
- Surpassing what is common or usual; exceptional: a special occasion; a special treat.
- Distinct among others of a kind: a special type of paint; a special medication for arthritis.
- Primary: His special satisfaction comes from volunteer work.
- Peculiar to a specific person or thing; particular: my own special chair; the special features of a computer.
- Having a limited or specific function, application, or scope: a special role in the mission.
- Arranged for a particular occasion or purpose: a special visit from her daughter.
- Regarded with particular affection and admiration: a special friend.
- Additional; extra: a special holiday flight.
- Something arranged, issued, or appropriated to a particular service or occasion: rode to work on the commuter special.
- A featured attraction, such as a reduced price: a special on salmon.
- A single television production that features a specific work, a given topic, or a particular performer.