Visible or sensible presentation; appearance; a sensible percept received by the imagination; an image.
- Biology A fundamental category of taxonomic classification, ranking below a genus or subgenus and consisting of related organisms capable of interbreeding. See Table at taxonomy.
- Biology An organism belonging to such a category, represented in binomial nomenclature by an uncapitalized Latin adjective or noun following a capitalized genus name, as in Ananas comosus, the pineapple, and Equus caballus, the horse.
- Logic A class of individuals or objects grouped by virtue of their common attributes and assigned a common name; a division subordinate to a genus.
- A kind, variety, or type: "No species of performing artist is as self-critical as a dancer” ( Susan Sontag).
- The human race; humankind.
- Roman Catholic Church The outward appearance or form of the Eucharistic elements that is retained after their consecration.
- Roman Catholic Church Either of the consecrated elements of the Eucharist.
- Obsolete An outward form or appearance.
- Obsolete Specie.