Of or pertaining to a species; characterizing or constituting a species; possessing the peculiar property or properties of a thing which constitute its species, and distinguish it from other things; as, the specific form of an animal or a plant; the specific qualities of a drug; the specific distinction between virtue and vice.
- Explicitly set forth; definite. See Synonyms at explicit.
- Relating to, characterizing, or distinguishing a species.
- Special, distinctive, or unique: specific qualities and attributes.
- Intended for, applying to, or acting on a particular thing: a specific remedy for warts.
- Concerned particularly with the subject specified. Often used in combination: "age-specific voting patterns” ( A. Dianne Schmidley).
- Designating a disease produced by a particular microorganism or condition.
- Having a remedial influence or effect on a particular disease.
- Immunology Having an affinity limited to a particular antibody or antigen.
- Designating a customs charge levied on merchandise by unit or weight rather than according to value.
- Designating a commodity rate applicable to the transportation of a single commodity between named points.
- Something particularly fitted to a use or purpose.
- A remedy intended for a particular ailment or disorder.
- A distinguishing quality or attribute.
- Distinct items or details; particulars.