To divide lengthwise; to separate from end to end, esp. by force; to divide in the direction of the grain layers; to rive; to cleave; as, to split a piece of timber or a board; to split a gem; to split a sheepskin.
- To divide from end to end or along the grain by or as if by a sharp blow. See Synonyms at tear1.
- To break, burst, or rip apart with force; rend. See Synonyms at break.
- To affect with force in a way that suggests tearing apart: A lightning bolt split the night sky.
- To separate (people or groups, for example); disunite.
- To divide and share: split a dessert.
- To divide, as for convenience or proper ordering: split the project up into stages.
- To separate (leather, for example) into layers.
- To mark (a vote or ballot) in favor of candidates from different parties.
- To divide (stock) by issuing multiples of the existing stock with a corresponding reduction in the price of each share, so that the total value of the stock is unchanged.
- Sports To win half the games of (a series or double-header).
- Slang To depart from; leave: a mobster who suddenly split town.
- To become separated into parts, especially to undergo lengthwise division.
- To become broken or ripped apart, especially from internal pressure.
- To become or admit of being divided: Let's split up into teams. This poem doesn't split up into stanzas very well.
- Informal To become divided or part company as a result of discord or disagreement: She split with the regular party organization. They split up after a year of marriage.
- To divide or share something with others.
- Slang To depart; leave: All the older kids have split to go dancing.
- The act of splitting or the result of it.
- A breach or rupture in a group.
- A splinter.
- Something divided and portioned out; a share.
- Sports The recorded time for an interval or segment of a race.
- A strip of flexible wood used for making baskets.
- A bottle of an alcoholic or carbonated beverage half the usual size.
- A drink of half the usual quantity.
- A half pint.
- A dessert of sliced fruit, ice cream, and toppings.
- Sports An acrobatic feat in which the legs are stretched out straight in opposite directions at right angles to the trunk. Often used in the plural.
- Sports An arrangement of bowling pins left standing after a bowl, in which two or more pins remain standing with one or more pins between them knocked down.
- A single thickness of a split hide.
- Having been divided or separated.
- Fissured longitudinally; cleft.
- Quoted in 16ths rather than in 8ths. Used of stocks.
- Having been split. Used of stocks.
- split hairs To see or make trivial distinctions; quibble.
Malayalam MeaningTransliteration ON/OFF | Not Correct/Proper?
വിദാരം - Vidhaaram | Vidharam ;ബന്ധം വിച്ഛേദിക്കുക - Bandham Vichchedhikkuka ;പിളര്പ്പ് - Pilarppu ;പിരിവ് - Pirivu ;പ്രപാടനം - Prapaadanam | Prapadanam ;ഭേദിക്കുക - Bhedhikkuka ;