One who binds himself to answer for another, and is responsible for his default; a surety.
- One who assumes responsibility for another person or a group during a period of instruction, apprenticeship, or probation.
- One who vouches for the suitability of a candidate for admission.
- A legislator who proposes and urges adoption of a bill.
- One who presents a candidate for baptism or confirmation; a godparent.
- One that finances a project or an event carried out by another person or group, especially a business enterprise that pays for radio or television programming in return for advertising time.
- To act as a sponsor for.