A piece of cane or red with a knot at each end, or a hollow cylinder of wood with a ridge at each end, used to wind thread or yarn upon.
- A cylinder of wood, plastic, cardboard, or other material on which wire, thread, or string is wound.
- The amount of wire, thread, or string wound on such a cylinder.
- Something similar to such a cylinder in shape or function.
- A reel for magnetic tape.
- To wind or be wound on or off a spool.
- To store (data sent to a printer) in a buffer, allowing the program that sent the data to the printer to resume its normal operation.