To spread and stretch the body or limbs carelessly in a horizontal position; to lie with the limbs stretched out ungracefully.
- To sit or lie with the body and limbs spread out awkwardly.
- To spread out in a straggling or disordered fashion: untidy tenements sprawling toward the river.
- To cause to spread out in a straggling or disordered fashion.
- A sprawling position or posture.
- Haphazard growth or extension outward, especially that resulting from real estate development on the outskirts of a city: urban sprawl.